- Which dotted lines show the motion of the pedal? Which dotted lines show the motion of the back wheel?
- How many times does the pedal rotate? How many times does the back wheel rotate?
- What occurs at the end of the graph?
- Does the period of the motion of the back wheel change over the course of the graph? If so, why?
- How many times does the wheel rotate?
- What is the maximum acceleration of the wheel?
- What is the maximum velocity of the wheel?
- Does the wheel ever roll backwards? How can this be determined?
- What is the maximum force exerted to pull the skateboard? The total force?
- What is the work required to pull the skateboard?
- What force would be necessary to pull the skateboard, if no wheels were present?
- What is the average speed of the skateboard in this graph?
- Describe the motion of the wheels in words.
- How far do the wheels travel in this graph?
- Estimate the initial velocity of the wheels.
- Estimate the average velocity of the wheels.
- Between 83 and 86 seconds, what is the average acceleration of the wheels?
A free YouTube video, Understanding the Motion of the Wheel, provides graphical analysis of video footage of a bicycle. Analysis of this video is available in the blog article Understanding Translational and Rotational Motion from a Bicycle Wheel.
- The Science of Exercise Equipment